CAMEO is committed to increasing microlending in California by supporting our members to expand their capacity, skills, capital resources and technology adoption. CAMEO is creating a new program — the MicroLending Academy.
- Significantly increase microlending among its members. An aspirational goal is five-fold growth.
- Assist members to increase capacity and knowledge of best practices.
- Showcase and support the adoption of technology for operations efficiency and loan production.
- Promote access to capital for disadvantaged entrepreneurs.
- Microenterprise is a pivotal part of job creation and economic development in California.
- Existing organizations meet only about 0.10% of current microfinance needs.
- Microlending has been a high-touch, labor intensive endeavor, making it expensive, suppressing supply.
- New internet-based technology is changing the microlending process, allowing for cost reduction, increased efficiency and volume.
- The new technology is bringing new players into the field, increasing competition for loan ready borrowers.
WHAT IT TAKES
Access to Capital: appropriate for microlending
Serving the Disadvantaged: commitment, practices and products
Technology: tools to lower cost and improve quality
Best Practices: build staff capacity and lending systems
Increased Number of Microloans!
LENDING ACADEMY FEATURES
- E Newsletter: articles, resources, technology, success stories, interviews, big picture ideas on all Lending Academy features
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V1.1 – Inaugural Edition
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V1.2 – Growth of Microlending: Disruption, Adoption
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V2.1 – Excellence in Microlending
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V2.2 – Building Capacity
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V2.3 – Commitment to Scale
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V2.4 – Opportunities to Scale
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V2.5 – MMS Success Year Two: Doubling Loans for Small Lenders
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V2.6 – CAMEO Microlenders Expand
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V3.1 – Launching into the Future
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V3.2 – Lending Gone Wild
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V3.3 – Strengthening the Case for Responsible Lending
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V3.4 – Trends in Microlending; Claudia’s Op-ed in American Banker
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V3.5 – Automated Bank Referrals, Crowdfunding, New Lending Opportunity
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V3.6 – Extra, Extra, Get the MicroLending News Issue
- MicroLending Academy Newsletter V4.1 – MLA Newsletter: Important Policy Updates and MMS Keeps Growing
- Peer Learning: work with peers to strengthen your microloan program; share your insights and innovations
- Peer Learning Call
- Excellence in Lending (EiL): Developing industry wide metrics for California’s microlenders
- Best Practices Training: training opportunities for staff development and lending systems improvement
- Individual Consulting: receive help to implement new lending processes and all aspects of the Lending Academy
- Training Support: identify training opportunities and provide monetary support for travel expenses
- Technology: CAMEO is partnering with technology developers to provide support and discount.